Have you ever wanted to learn archery, or have you started taking a few lessons? Then, it is time for you to purchase the best compound bow for beginners.
As a beginner, finding the right compound bow can be a little complicated. You want to get a quality bow because you will get the most enjoyment from it.
Thus, we will review five compound bows, which should be on your shopping list. Also, we will help you learn a little along the way.
Best Compound Bow for Beginners: Brief Reviews
1. Crosman EIkhorn Jr. Compound Bow
The Crosman EIkhorn Jr. Compound Bow is one of the compound bows you can buy for a newcomer to archery. It is lightweight, as well as easy to draw and use. The bow has features expected from a full-sized adult bow. It is ideal for young beginners who are searching for the right compound bow to improve their precision and skills.
The Elkhorn Jr. has the following to offer:
- Durability: Generally, Crosman bows are durable. The Elkhorn has integrated composite center riser with large windows. The thick composite limb offers all the support you will need.
- Ease of use: It is easy to use for beginners. The draw weight ranges from 17 to 21 pounds, which makes it easy to draw the bow without much effort. The lightweight design also makes it easy for you to have the correct hand placement for a perfect shot.
- Shooting performance: With the Crosman EIkhorn Jr. Compound Bow, you get a shooting performance similar to adult bows. A composite cam system supported by high tensile cables and a cable guard.
- Inclusions: This compound bow comes equipped with accessories you need. In the package set, you get two composite arrows, an arm guard, a finger tab, a rest sight, and two piece quiver. You also get a 90-day limited warranty when you buy directly from the manufacturer.
What's to like about the Crosman EIkhorn Jr. Compound Bow
For a beginner compound bow, the Crosman EIkhorn is designed to be lightweight and durable. A common feature of larger bows used by professional archers. The bow is easy to use and has a low draw weight. This makes it suitable for younger archers.
The compound bow has a well-supported composite cam system. Additionally, you don’t have to worry about purchasing additional accessories. This bow comes with the essential items you will need to have a wonderful time outdoors!
What's not to like about the Crosman EIkhorn Jr. Compound Bow
Sadly, the composite arrows that come with the bow are low-quality. They can break after a few outings. You either have to be careful handling the arrows or buy more durable replacements.
2. Southland Archery Supply Scorpi Compound Bow
The SAS Scorpi Compound Bow gives shooters great quality gear to excel in the field. People use them for target shooting and hunting. It is also adjustable for beginners. This gives you all the freedom to fit the bow to you.
The SAS Scorpi Compound Bow has the following features:
- Specs: The compound bow has an axle to axle dimension of 28”. Hunters enjoy the small size. It weighs only around 3.3 pounds. The limbs are made from compressed ABS material. They are very durable.
- Adjustability: As a beginner, you want to have an adjustable compound bow. This will give you the freedom to make adjustments. The Scorpi Compound Bow has a draw length ranging from 19” to 29”. You can adjust the length according to your comfort level.
- Shooting performance: The bow provides shooters with high-quality performance and shoots 260 feet.
- Inclusions: The bow comes with all the accessories you need for a fun-filled outing. When you buy the SAS compound bow, you get the following: a bow sling, a four-inch stabilizer, a fiber optic adjustable sight, a peep sight scope, a brush arrow rest, a roll of D-loop string, a wrist strap, and a wrist strap. Additionally, the product comes with a seven-year SAS warranty.
What's to like about the Southland Archery Supply Scorpi Compound Bow
One thing we love about the SAS compound bow is the quality material used in its build, which is similar to the ones found in professional bows. It also comes equipped with accessories you need to make the right shot. Additionally, as a good learning compound bow, it's a high-performance bow for hunting, target practice, and more.
What's not to like about the Southland Archery Supply Scorpi Compound Bow
One problem with the bow is that the bowstring can slip off. If this occurs, you have to have it fixed for you to use it again. Another issue we noticed is that the SAS Scorpi Compound Bow has a right-hand orientation, so you want to take note of this if you are a left-handed shooter.
3. Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow
The Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow is perfect for beginners. Designed to remove the let-off and draw length restrictions common in most beginner bows. It is also the official bow of the National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP).
The things you'd expect from the Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow include:
- Design: Designed with features similar to a professional bow. The Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow has a single-cam technology. This eliminates turning issues, recoil, and noise, providing you with more shooting accuracy.
- Made for Beginners: The bow has safety features which made it the official bow for teaching archery in schools. It includes an aluminum riser, high-strength bowstring, strong composite limbs, aluminum cam, and idler wheel. All of which are made in the USA.
- Ease of Use: The Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow can be handled and used by a first timer with no shooting experience. It has a draw weight of 20 pounds, which be reduced to 10 pounds with the help of a hex wrench. Additionally, the bow has a draw length which can stretch between a distance of 15” and 30”.
- Durability: A combination of aluminum and lightweight plastic material, make the bow durable. This makes it a bow you can have around for a long time.
What's to like about the Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow
The official bow for teaching archery in USA schools. There is nothing much to worry about the Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow's quality. This is further backed up with the high-quality materials used in its construction.
Beginners or those with little shooting experience will have a good experience with the Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow. It has a lot of safety features, as well as technology, which helps to improve your shooting accuracy.
What's not to like about the Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow
Unfortunately, the Genesis Bows Original Compound Bow doesn’t come with the required accessories such as arrows and a quiver. This means you have to spend extra to purchase the items you need to use the bow. Another thing you need to be aware of is that the bow isn’t suitable for hunting, but you can use it for bow fishing and target shooting.
4. Leader Accessories Compound Bow
Leader Accessories is a manufacturer notable for designing quality hunting equipment and accessories. This particular compound bow they made has features required to make archery a lot easier.
The Leader Accessories Compound Bow has a lot to offer, including:
- Construction: Made with high-quality aluminum material, the riser is very strong. The bow comes in many different colors.
- Adjustability: The draw length of the Leader Accessories Compound Bow can be adjusted between 19 to 29 inches with the aid of an Allen key. Likewise, the draw weight can be set from 30 to 55 pounds. To adjust the draw weight, simply turn the limb bolt in a clockwise direction to increase and counter-clockwise to reduce. You can also loosen the screw in the cam to adjust the draw length without the aid of a bow press.
- Ease of use: The Leader Accessories Compound Bow has been designed as a beginner bow. This makes it easy to use even if you don’t have much shooting experience. With an adjustable draw length and weight, it is easy for you to get the bow to fit your shooting style. You also don’t need to apply much force in holding it since it weighs only around 3.3 pounds. Young archers can handle this bow.
- Color options: With the Leader Accessories Compound Bow, you can find a color suited to your style because it is available in 12 different colors. What is more exciting is that you can choose a single color or a blend of two or more color to match your style.
- Inclusions: The bow comes fully equipped with the accessories you need to get you started right away. You'll get a fiber-optic sight, a release aid, a D string loop, a drop-away arrow rest, wax, a peep sight, and two 30” aluminum arrows. The bow also comes with a one-year warranty, which is all the assurance you need for quality.
What's to like about the Leader Accessories Compound Bow
We love that the Leader Accessories Compound Bow is made from high-quality material, making it a good bow you can have around for a long time. Another thing we love about this compound bow is that there is a wide selection of single and combination colors.
Additionally, whatever your shooting style is and whether you have minimal or no shooting experience, you can use the bow easily. Not only because it is lightweight, but also because the draw weight and length are adjustable.
What's not to like about the Leader Accessories Compound Bow
Unfortunately, the Leader Accessories Compound Bow is designed for right-handed shooters only. Also, although it is a youth-sized bow with a good draw length and strength, it may not be useful for hunting.
5. Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow
The Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow is another beginner-friendly product designed to be high quality, and versatile. Similar to the rest of the compound bows we reviewed, this also comes with accessories you need to begin your archery lessons.
Upon unboxing, here are the things you would expect from Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow:
- Inclusions: The package includes an infinite edge pro bow, a tube-type peep sight, a BCY string loop, a wrist sling, a hostage XL arrow rest, a five inches ultra-lite octane stabilizer, a three-pin tundra sight, and a deadlock lite octane quiver.
- Construction: Weighing around 3.1 pounds and crafted with durable materials, it is long-lasting and easy to carry around. The bow has a stabilizer which provides proper balance to help improve your shooting accuracy. Additionally, all accessories are also designed to be long-lasting like the arrows.
- Ease of use: As a beginner, you want to buy a bow that you can assemble and use easily. For the Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow, the only assembly required is accessory installation. Adjusting the bow to the appropriate draw weight and draw length you are comfortable with is also effortless. The draw length ranges from 13 to 31 inches while the draw weight can be set between five to 70 pounds.
What's to like about the Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow
What we love the most about this package is that both the bow and accessories are durable. Another thing we like is that the bow you can adjust the draw settings without hassles and according to your preferences and needs.
The Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow is also equipped with a cam system which makes drawing and shooting easy. The extended draw range of up to 31 inches and the maximum arrow speed of 310 ft/sec it provides are also a plus. Additionally, the bow is effortless to set up to a point you can do it without the help of a professional.
What's not to like about the Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow
Sadly, the bottom cam can break. As Such, you must handle the product with care. The bow also needs to be reset after unpacking it from the box to avoid problems when you use it.
When you are in the market to buy a beginner compound bow, you should take note of some particular features. You should find a product which will save you a great deal of money on getting aftermarket parts or repairs. Here are some of the things you need to check out before buying a compound bow:
1. Brace Height
The brace height of your compound bow is the measured distance between your bowstring and the bow grip. This has been set by the manufacturers already, so you don’t need to make readjustments.
The brace height determines the speed and accuracy of your shot, so you want to confirm that the brace height can be adjusted.
A shorter brace height means the arrow will travel faster while a higher brace height reduces the travel distance. You have to note, though, that a shorter brace height will make the compound bow hard to shoot. With that in mind, the brace height for beginners should be at 6” or 7” for the best shots.
2. Axle to Axle Dimension
The axle-to-axle dimension is another thing you want to look out for in your compound bow. It is the distance between the bow cams, which contributes to the bow power. The axle-to-axle length of your bow can also go a long way in determining the accuracy of your bow.
When shopping for a compound bow, you need to select one with the right axle-to-axle dimension to match your activity. Bows with a bigger dimension are a lot more forgiving compared to a smaller one. A bow with a higher axle dimension will be a lot easier to shoot compared to a shorter one.
3. Draw Weight
Another feature you should look out for in a bow is the draw weight, which is the amount of force you need to apply on the bow to pull back the string. There are a lot of things that affect the draw weight of a bow, such as the cam design, limb thickness, limb shape, and limb length. Most bow manufacturers produce compound bows with an adjustable draw weight.
When shopping for a compound bow, you need to select a draw weight range falling between any of 40- and 50, 50 and 60, or 60 and 70. This range can then be increased or reduced anywhere between the 10-pound increments.
As a beginner, you might not be looking to spend much on a bow, but it is important to know that some of the best compound bows are a little expensive. You need to have a budget when you are looking to buy a compound bow. A budget will also make it easier for you to find a bow that will not regret buying.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Can the Draw Length on a Bow Be Adjusted?
For you to be able to adjust the draw length of your bow, you need to check if the cam is easily adjustable. The range of adjustment differs from bow to bow. Some bows can only be adjusted to a few inches while others have a draw length ranging from 15 to 20 inches.
2. How Do You Tighten a Compound Bow?
You can tighten your compound bow by locating the limb lock at the center of the bow. Once you find it, you can now loosen it with the aid of an Allen key or screwdriver.
Turn the screwdriver or wrench in a clockwise direction to tighten the bow. As you tighten the bow, adjust the arm tension until you get the right draw weight.
3. What Is the Best Draw Weight for Deer Hunting?
If you intend to use your compound bow for hunting animals, you need to buy one with a draw weight of 40 pounds or more. Forty pound draw weight can usually take down a deer.
4. What Makes a Bow Forgiving?
You’ve probably heard of the term bow forgiveness and wondered what it was all about. It refers to the ability of the bow to shoot an arrow with minimal interference and effort from the archer.
To make a bow more forgiving, you have to ensure that it is set up and tuned.
From the five compound bows reviewed above, the Diamond Archery Infinite Edge Pro Compound Bow is our top pick for the best compound bow for beginners. It is lightweight and durable. Although it may need some readjustments after purchase. Most bows require regular maintenance and tuning. The package arrives with accessories you need to begin your archery journey, offering great value for the money.